Farmers' suicides

Farmers' suicides


According to the Accidental Deaths & Suicides in India 2015 (released in 2016) by National Crime Records Bureau (please click here to access):

• Altogether 1,33,623 persons in India committed suicide in 2015 (please click here to access).

• A total of 8,007 farmers/ cultivators have committed suicides during 2015, accounting for 5.99 percent of total suicide victims in the country. However, 4,595 agricultural labourers have committed suicides during 2015, which is 3.44 percent of total suicide victims. Therefore, the total number of suicides in the farming sector (committed by farmers plus agricultural labourers) was 12,602 in 2015, accounting for 9.43 percent of total suicide victims in India. Please click here to access.

• A total of 7,566 male farmers/ cultivators and 441 female farmers/ cultivators have committed suicides, accounting for 94.49 percent and 5.51 percent of total farmers’ suicides, respectively. Please click here to access.

• Land holding status of farmers who committed suicide reveals that 27.41 percent and 45.19 percent of victims were marginal farmers and small farmers respectively. They together accounted for 72.59 percent (5,813 out of 8,007) of total farmer suicides (please click here to access).

• Majority of suicides committed by farmers/ cultivators were reported in Maharashtra (3,030) followed by 1,358 such suicides in Telangana and 1,197 suicides in Karnataka, accounting for 37.8 percent, 17.0 percent and 14.9 percent of total such suicides (8,007) respectively during 2015. Chhattisgarh (854 suicides), Madhya Pradesh (581 suicides) and Andhra Pradesh (516 suicides) accounted for 10.7 percent, 7.3 percent and 6.4 percent of the total farmer/ cultivators suicides reported in the country respectively. These 6 states together reported 94.1 percent of the total farmer/ cultivators suicides (7,536 out of 8,007 suicides) in the country during 2015.

• 'Bankruptcy or Indebtedness' and 'Farming Related Issues' are reported as major causes of suicides among farmers/ cultivators, accounting for 38.7 percent (3,097 out of 8,007 suicides) and 19.5 percent (1,562 out of 8,007 suicides) of total such suicides respectively during 2015. The other prominent causes of farmer/ cultivators suicides were 'Family Problems' (933 suicides), 'Illness' (842 suicides) and 'Drug Abuse/Alcoholic Addiction' (330 suicides), accounting for 11.7 percent, 10.5 percent and 4.1 percent of total farmers/cultivators` suicides respectively.

• During 2015, major causes of suicides among male farmers/ cultivators were reported as 'Bankruptcy or Indebtedness' (2,978 suicides) and 'Farming Related Issues' (1,494 suicides), which accounted for 39.4 percent and 19.7 percent of total male farmers/ cultivators suicides respectively.

• Among female farmers/ cultivators suicides, 'Bankruptcy or Indebtedness' followed by 'Family Problems', were major causes of suicides, accounting for 27.0 percent (119 out of 441 suicides) and 18.1 percent (80 suicides) of total suicides by female farmers/ cultivators respectively during 2015. 'Farming Related Issues' and 'Illness' both accounted for 15.4 percent (68 suicides each) during 2015.

• 'Family Problems' and 'Illness' were major causes of suicides among agricultural labourers accounting for 40.1 percent (1,843 out of 4,595 suicides) and 19.0 percent (872 out of 4,595 suicides) respectively.

• 79.0 percent of farmer/ cultivator suicides in Karnataka and 42.7 percent of farmer/ cultivator suicides in Maharashtra were due to ‘Bankruptcy or Indebtedness’. 26.2 percent of farmer/ cultivator suicides in Maharashtra were also due to 'Farming Related Issues (Related to Failure of Crop)'.

• Farmers/ cultivators belonging to 30 years - below 60 years of age group have accounted for 71.6 percent of total farmers/ cultivators’ suicides during 2015.

• 9.0 percent of farmers/ cultivators who have committed suicides were in age group of 60 years & above.

• The states of Bihar, Goa, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand, Mizoram, Nagaland, Uttarakhand and West Bengal have reported no farmers' suicide during 2015. All the 7 Union Territories have reported zero number of farmers' suicide during 2015 (please click here to access).

• The states of Goa, Manipur, Nagaland and West Bengal have reported no suicide by agricultural labourers during 2015. All the Union Territories except Puducherry (12) have reported zero suicide by agricultural labourers during 2015 (please click here to access).

• Comprehensive data on ‘Suicides in Farming Sector’ comprising of suicides committed by farmers/ cultivators and agricultural labourers in exclusive Chapter-2A have been collected and published in consultation with Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare under overall supervision of Ministry of Home Affairs, in order to present a comprehensive analysis on suicides in farming sector. In previous edition (till ADSI 2013), this chapter contained data on suicides committed by farmers/cultivators only.




Related Articles

 

Write Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Video Archives

Archives

share on Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Feedback
Read Later