RTE: Admissions without 25% quota 'illegal', says govt
A day after private schools in the state expressed their helplessness in implementing the Right to Education (RTE) Act from the current academic year, a determined state government on Wednesday directed private unaided schools to announce only 75% of the admission list and keep 25% of the seats aside to enable admission of students belonging to economically weaker sections.
But here’s the worrying bit in the story. Most private schools have already completed their admission process for the current year.
So if the RTE Act is implemented as per the state government’s orders, some children will end up losing their hard-earned seats, which will be traumatic not only for them but also for their parents. In which schools will such kids find admission again? This is a question parents would like the government to answer.
As per the timetable issued by the education department on Wednesday night, private unaided schools have to announce the first list (selected seats) by the first week of May. In order to reduce the confusion regarding the implementation, the department has told the schools to announce the list for only 75% of the seats.
To make sure everyone falls in line, the government has warned that it would declare the list ‘illegal’ if any school declares the list without setting aside 25% of the seats for students from economically weaker sections.
Kumar Nayak, secretary, state department of primary and secondary education, said: “To avoid any confusion over the reservation in private unaided schools, we have directed them (schools) just to fill 75% seats and wait for the other 25% seats till the government order is issued.”
Vishveshwar Hegde Kageri, state education minister, said: “We will soon finalise the criteria. After that, we will fill 25% of the seats. The schools need to wait for the government order regarding 25% of the seats,” said Kageri.
But private managements are still worried over the implementation of the RTE Act. D Shashikumar, organising secretary, Karnataka State Private Schools Management Federation, had a few questions: “We want the state government/department to be clear about certain issues. What if the reserved 25% seats are left vacant? What if no student is willing to join the school from that locality?”