Search Result

Total Matching Records found : 7541

PDS/ Ration/ Food Security

linked procurement occurs mainly for wheat, rice and cotton. While there is no government procurement per se in sugarcane, a crop with assured irrigation, mills are legally obligated to buy cane from Farmers at prices fixed by government, an effective MSP-like engagement. But even for these crops MSP is restricted to a subset of Farmers in a few states. This can be clearly observed in large gaps in the perc

More »

Malnutrition

a growth rate of almost 9 per cent, more than 700 million people remain food insecure. • One problem in India, according to the Deccan Development Society and others, is the neglect of small Farmers – especially women – who are the main producers of local foods and traditional grains such as millet and sorghum. The Deccan Development Society has been working with poor, illiterate dalit (untouchable) women to help them to restore t

More »

Hunger Overview

cess factor for reducing undernourishment, but it has to be inclusive and provide opportunities for improving the livelihoods of the poor. Enhancing the productivity and incomes of smallholder family Farmers is key to progress. • Social protection systems have been critical in fostering progress towards the MDG 1 hunger and poverty targets in a number of developing countries. Social protection directly contributes to the reduction of poverty,

More »

Right to Work (MG-NREGA)

3 per cent relate to flood protection and drought proofing - 13 per cent relate to land development - 14 per cent relate to work done on private lands (lands belonging to small and marginal Farmers/SCs/ STs/Below Poverty Line (BPL) households/Indira Awas Yojana (IAY) and land reform beneficiaries)  • 12 crore Job Cards (JCs) have been given and these along with the 9 crore muster rolls have been uploaded on the Management Info

More »

Utsa Patnaik, Professor of Economics, speaks to the Hindu

ons was to cut subsidies. In the early 1990s, there was already an attempt to cut subsidies as the issue price of foodgrains from the PDS was almost doubled while the procurement price given to Farmers rose very little. This ignored a simple fact of macroeconomics: if this was done, the poor would be priced out and they would be unable to buy the foodgrains. So we had a build-up of stocks, the cost of holding which increased the food subsidy.

More »

Corruption

erging and industrialised countries alike. It affects multinationals in the United States and Europe. It touches manufacturing powerhouses in China, information technology service providers in India, Farmers in Latin America and extractive industries in Africa, central Asia and the Middle East. It is an issue for large-scale conglomerates, family-owned businesses and individual entrepreneurs. In developing and transition countries alone, corrupt polit

More »

Migration

ely 6% of the population that moved between 1991-2001.   • 'Seasonal migration' has long been practiced in the rural areas, particularly among landless laborers and marginal Farmers with limited livelihood options. Livelihood opportunities, its dearth in the rural and abundance in the urban areas are therefore responsible for the majority of migration. Media exposure and growth of the metros is another reason that allures peo

More »

Unemployment

unorganized sector agricultural workers in the total agricultural workers was 98 per cent during 2004-05# • Nearly two-thirds of the agricultural workers (64 per cent) are self-employed, or Farmers as we call them, and the remaining, a little over one-third (36 per cent), wage workers# • Growth rate of agricultural employment decelerated from 1.4 per cent during the period 1983/1993-94 to 0.8 per cent during the period 1993-94/2004-

More »

Jean Dreze, development economist, speaks to Ajoy Ashirwad Mahaprashanta

ertaken within the stipulated 60:40 labour-material ratio, especially if the list of permissible works is expanded. Can the Act be used to revive the agrarian economy? Can it be used to address Farmers’ distress permanently? The NREGA is not the answer to everything. If the Act is well implemented, it can provide an important form of social security in rural areas. The NREGS can also help revive the rural economy, by creating product

More »

Debt Trap

% of India's agricultural households were indebted in July, 2012-June, 2013 $   • A similar survey on rural indebtedness by the NSSO in 1991 found indebtedness among only 26% of Farmers $   • On an average, the amount of debt per farmer household was Rs. 12,585 during NSS 59th Round, which increased by nearly 4 times to reach Rs. 47000 per agricultural household during the NSS 70th Round $ • Ba

More »

Video Archives

Archives

share on Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Feedback
Read Later