Union Budget And Other Economic Policies
According to the Union Budget Speech 2014-15 delivered by Arun Jaitley (Please click here to download) on 10 July, 2014:
• GDP growth rate has declined from 7.5 percent in Q1 of 2011-12 to 4.4 percent in Q1 of 2013-14.
Ministry of Minority Affairs-Rs. 3,711 crore
Direct Benefit Transfer scheme/ Aadhaar
• The DBT scheme is barely a year old. Money is being transferred to beneficiaries under 27 identified schemes, including the National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP). A total of 54,20,114 transactions have been put through until 31.1.2014 and Rs. 628 crore has been transferred. Another sum of Rs. 3,370 crore has been transferred to 2.1 crore LPG beneficiaries. The latter scheme has been put on hold for the time being pending resolution of some difficulties that have been pointed out. The Government remains fully committed to Aadhaar under which 57 crore unique numbers have been issued so far and to opening bank accounts for all Aadhaar holders in order to promote financial inclusion.
• The restructured ICDS has been implemented in 400 districts and will be rolled out in the remaining districts from 1.4.2014.
• Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has delivered new technologies to the people: the JE vaccine, a diagnostic test for Thalassaemia, and a Magnivisualizer for detection of cervical cancer.
• In 2012-13 and in the nine months of the current financial year, India added 29,350 megawatts of power capacity, 3,928 kilometres of national highways, 39,144 kilometres of rural roads under PMGSY, 3,343 kilometres of new railway track, and 217.5 million tonnes of capacity per annum in our ports.
• 12.8 lakh land titles covering 18.80 lakh hectare were distributed under the Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers Act.
Credit to Minority Communities
• Ten years ago, the minorities had 14,15,000 bank accounts in 121 districts of India where there is a concentration of minorities. At the end of March, 2013, they had 43,52,000 accounts and the volume of lending had soared from Rs. 4,000 crore to Rs. 66,500 crore. Loans to minority communities in the whole country stood at Rs. 211,451 crore at the end of December 2013.
• The National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward Scheme was launched in August 2013 and has been widely hailed as a success. At last count, 24 Sector Skill Councils, 442 Training Partners and 17 Assessment Agencies had joined the programme. 204 job roles have been finalised. 168,043 youth had enrolled and 77,710 have completed their training. Last year Rs. 1,000 crore was set aside for the scheme.